International Radio Call Sign:
November - Zulu - Foxtrot - Lima
Odyssey was acquired by the Navy on 31 July 1942 from Mrs. Barklie Henry of Old Westbury, N. Y., converted to diesel auxiliary power in August and September at Port Everglades, Fla.; and placed in service on 17 October.
Saluda was assigned to the Port Everglades Section Base under the administrative control of the Commandant, 7th Naval District and remained there for outfitting. She was commissioned on 20 June 1943, Lt.(jg.) Edward F. Valier in command, and assigned to the Bureau of Ordnance for experimental work at the Underwater Sound Laboratory, New London, Conn. In December, she sailed south to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, and thence proceeded to various Caribbean ports before returning to Mayport, Fla., for overhaul during the summer of 1944.
In August, Saluda was ordered back to New London and duty with the Sound Laboratory. She continued operations there until she was decommissioned and placed in service in October 1945, to be retained at New London under the operational control of the Commandant, 3d Naval District.